Instagram

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Long Beach 2nd Saturday Art Walk

In my quest for saying yes to new opportunities and doing things I've never done before, I can check off participating in an art walk from that list.  Lastnight, I showed up with 30+ other artists to display work along the downtown streets of the Long Beach Arts District.  I've been to the art walk as a watcher and stroller but never as an artist.  As you can imagine, it is a completely different experience.

I love going to fairs and art walks and at times, you can get lost in the strolling and browsing through art and sometimes, you might not see or engage with the artist.  It's interesting to be on the other side.  It can be a little vulnerable putting your work out there in the open for everyone to see and make comments on.  It's always nice when you have people who come and say nice things, which I was lucky enough to have.  I am grateful to have people come and see my art in person and hear comments like, "your photographs look much better in person than they do on the web."  Whew, that's a relief!  I would hate for it to be the other way around.

Since it was my first art walk, I wasn't sure what to expect.  I had a 10x10 space, so to see how much space that really is, I got out some sidewalk chalk and measured the space and marked it in my backyard and mocked up an art show at home before the art show on the street.  I suppose I like to be prepared.  I didn't have a tent or anything fancy...just a few easels, tables and lots of photographs.

Participating in an art fair gives you an idea of what people like to look at and what they don't.  I love to people watch but it's an interesting feeling of watching people watching you and your work.  All art is vulnerable and showing it to strangers is even more so.  I am grateful to everyone that took the time to come out to say hello and for the new people I met that didn't know I was going to be there. Thank you to everyone who said hello to me.

I can now check this off of my life experience list.  Now... on to the next exciting adventure!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails